A Galentine's Recipe to Satisfy Your Whole Tribe — Food Sensitivities and All
By Claire Siegel
While Valentine’s Day might warrant mixed reviews, I think there’s one thing we can all agree on: Galentine’s Day totally rocks.
If you’re not familiar with the concept of Galentine’s Day, I’d highly advise you to stop here and go watch "Parks and Recreation," episode 16, season 2. But if you’re reading this at work — no judgies — let me sum up this fake holiday for you:
Per the peppy brilliance of Leslie Knope (as played by Amy Poehler), Galentine’s Day takes place on February 13. It’s all about you, your girlfriends, and letting the lady love abound. Traditionally, G-Day is celebrated over waffles at brunch, as you do.
If you’re down for a little “ladies celebrating ladies” action that doesn’t result in a maple syrup-induced sugar coma, you must make these grain-free, vegan waffles. They’re slightly sweet with a hint of vanilla, so all you have to do is top with berries and say nice things about your girlfriends in between bites.
Grain-Free, Vegan Galentine’s Day Waffles
makes 2-4 servings
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Pinch fine sea salt
Optional ingredient inspiration:
- 2 scoops grass-fed collagen peptides for additional protein
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Toppings: chocolate shavings, berries, nut butter, coconut whipped cream
- In a small dish, mix together the flax and warm water. Let sit for about 3 minutes until the mixture gels together and thickens.
- While you wait, start heating up your waffle iron and spray with nonstick spray.
- Add the flax mixture and the remaining ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour your waffle mix into your waffle maker and cook until golden brown.
- Top as you wish and let the girl hangs commence!